Ended on September 30th 2019
THE STORY OF SHUCK
Hi. My name is Lucy Ashley and I’m a self-confessed oyster tragic. It all started many years ago growing up on Sydney Harbour when Dad would take us foraging for oysters around the rocks. He’d flick the tops off and we’d squabble over whose turn it was to eat one. It was the start of my lifelong oyster obsession – one that I finally turned into a business in 2015 when I started shucking and smoking beautiful, fresh Australian oysters.
Back in 2017 at Ballina Farmers Market.
Fast forward to 2019 and my company, Shuck, is one of only 12 artisan food producers selected to showcase their food and drink products on the NSW Government’s Flavours of NSW Stand at the Fine Food Australia Exhibition in Sydney, in September. It’s a big deal for us – and a huge vote of confidence from the NSW Government – not just in Shuck, but in our award-winning products.
Above: our award-winning smoked oysters (top) and smoked oyster paté (bottom).
To help put the scale of this opportunity into perspective, Fine Food Australia will run for four days (9-12 September) at the International Convention Centre in Sydney. This trade-only event attracts over a thousand exhibitors and over 23,000 visitors from across Australia and internationally. If you want to secure a distribution, export deal or airline deal (like we do!), this is the place to be.
But it costs a large amount of money to exhibit at Fine Food Australia. For Shuck to exhibit there on our own, we estimate it would cost us around $60,000. But thanks to the generosity of the NSW Government who are subsidising costs like stand hire and build, we only need to cover our direct costs. But we need your help to make this happen.
YOUR SUPPORT WILL HELP TO DIRECTLY COVER THESE COSTS:
* $2,000 ‘contribution fee’ payable to the NSW Government to appear on the Flavours of NSW stand (they pay the majority of the stand hire, build costs and more)
* $1,180 return airfares Ballina-Sydney
* $1,700 accommodation, meals etc (5 days)
* $2,300 cost of goods – oysters, ingredients, packaging, labour costs etc for production of product samples to cover 4 days
* $300 to also feature in the ‘new products zone’ at entrance to the exhibition to help drive traffic to our stand
* $1,600 staff costs at event (4 days)
• $290 inner-Sydney travel costs (5 days)
* $450 for refrigerated freight, courier and cold storage of products – Ballina to Sydney
* $1,400 for promotional material, lead tracking and pre- and post-event marketing.
* If your generous support results in us exceeding our goal, we will put our extra funds to our next project which is preparing our premises for export certification. This involves tasks like re-grinding and coating our concrete floor, re-painting our walls and upgrading some of our stainless steelware.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE AND HELP US GET TO FINE FOOD AUSTRALIA
If you love smoked oysters – or even if you don’t but DO love the idea of a small food business taking Australian multi-award-winning, sustainable seafood products to the world, please contribute to our campaign and get FREE STUFF! Choose your preferred contribution amount and see what is coming your way, with our absolute gratitude. Thank you so much!!!
No Comments yet. Be the first one to comment!Please log in or register to post comments