Ended on June 30th 2021
The Sydney Mandolin Orchestra (SMO) is excited to announce a new recording project. Our last recording “Quiver” was released in 2011 and our orchestra and repertoire have changed and grown considerably since then, influenced by new Musical Directors and new members. We are looking forward to bringing the unique sound of our plucked string orchestra, comprising mandolin family instruments, classical guitar, and double bass, to lovers of fine ensemble music everywhere.In the absence of live performances in 2020-21 due to the pandemic, the SMO has been rehearsing works for the recording over several months, with production of the recording planned to be completed by mid-2021. The recording will be available as a physical CD, and a downloadable format.
In formulating the repertoire the SMO has settled on an international theme featuring works representing different countries and cultures, including:
· The Australis Suite by Sydney based composer and mandolin virtuoso Dr. Stephen Lalor,
· Two traditional Yiddisher Songs arranged by Lalor,
· European Suite by Konrad Wölki,
· Die Specknerin by Wilhelm Mohr,
· Thema de Soto by Mark Davis,
· I Folkton by Olof Næslund.
Check out the campaign video to get a small taste of the music we will be including on the CD!
Opportunity to get involved
You can become involved in the recording project through this crowdfunding page. Your generous donations will earn you benefits when the recording and production are complete. More generally your generosity will help promote the SMO’s music to our audiences in New South Wales, interstate and internationally.
If you donate for higher tiers of rewards, you will receive ALL the lower tier rewards as well.
· $20 – A huge thank you for your support from the orchestra. You will get updates on the project and some ‘behind the scenes’ content as the project progresses.
· $40 – A physical copy of the CD (digital for overseas sponsors) as well as a signed thank you card form the entire orchestra.
· $75 – Two tickets to one of our concerts in 2021/22 of your choosing.
· $100 – Meet the orchestra and get a lesson on the mandolin or guitar from our professional teachers (instruments provided).
· $200 – Your name will be included in the liner notes for the CD insert as a sponsor of the CD.
Make sure you provide an email address so that we can contact you for your rewards!
Your donations will go towards paying for a studio recording session, sound engineer and fees involved in producing the CD.
The Sydney Mandolin Orchestra was founded in 1932 and is currently the longest running mandolin orchestra in Australia. It is a community orchestra that is open to musicians of all skill levels and performs a variety of music from around the world. The instruments in the orchestra consist of: mandolins, mandolas, classical guitars and double bass, but we are also sometimes joined by other plucked strings such as the pipa and oud.
If you are interested in learning more about SMO, or perhaps even joining us, you can visit our website here.