Ended on January 21st 2017
Hello Tim and John here. John is the man behind Bredbo Black Garlic. Tim is just helping with the campaign.
I need your help to transform normal garlic into delicious, balsamic, molasses, and liquorice flavoured black garlic! – John
After growing garlic for 15 years, I started working on the fermentation process to make black garlic 5 years ago. It took 2 years to modify and build a fermenter that worked, so for the last 3 years I have been producing our delicious Bredbo Black Garlic made in my home built fermenters.
This campaign is to raise funds to buy a purpose built new, larger, and more sophisticated fermenter!
I can’t keep up with demand at the moment! My dream is to supply our wonderful customers year round and this new fermenter will help do that!
Your help will mean we can grow our small production to delight more people with the fantastic taste and brilliant health benefits of black garlic!
We have extended the deadline to the 20th of Jan due to the end of year holidays! Less than 10 days!
Click ‘Follow ‘above for updates and read Our Story below…
It is the same garlic that we were growing which is then aged for 60 days under very strict temperature and humidity parameters. During this time the garlic transforms into glossy black cloves, with an entirely different complexity of flavour and texture. This process enhances the health benefits with some studies reporting double the amount of antioxidants.
Share this campaign! A new fermenter will really help us produce black garlic to go into other great products such as butter and cheese.
Your support in purchasing a reward from us would be great appreciated! ( rewards described below, buy from the rewards tab). Black garlic can be a great gift for any amazing home cook or aspiring chef!
Keep an eye out for limited time rewards and promotions.
1. Show us your support with $10 and receive a PDF black garlic recipe book via email!
2. Tester or grinder $25A packet of 2 black truffle garlic bulbs or a smoked garlic grinder (10g)(options in the main text), with a recipe booklet. Postage included to anywhere in Australia.
3. Salty Black Garlic $35A packet of 2 delicious black truffle garlic bulbs, recipe booklet and 25g of black garlic salt, to boost any meal with the unique flavour of black garlic. Postage included to anywhere in Australia.
4. Pot of Black Garlic $40A 50g pot of pre-cut and peeled black garlic truffle, with a recipe booklet. Postage included to anywhere in Australia.
5. Pot and grinder $50A 50g pot of black garlic, a smoked garlic grinder (See types under Rewards) in description and a recipe book with brilliant black garlic recipes. Postage included to anywhere in Australia.
6. Garlic Grinder Pack (with black garlic grinder) $70A 50g pot of black garlic, a smoked garlic grinder (See types under Rewards) in description and a recipe book with brilliant black garlic recipes. Postage included to anywhere in Australia.
7. Ultimate Christmas Gourmet Gift Pack $100A 50g pot of black garlic, a smoked garlic grinder (See types under Rewards) in description and a recipe book with brilliant black garlic recipes. Postage included to anywhere in Australia.
8. Value pack of 3 Christmas Gourmet Gift Packs $250Three packs! Each including a 50g pot of black garlic, 25g of black garlic salt, and grinders; – Black garlic grinder – Smoked garlic and chilli – Smoke garlic, rosemary and salt. with recipe booklets. Postage included to anywhere in Australia.
9. The Black Garlic Club $1000Visit the farm with 4 friends where the garlic is grown and where it is made, see how black garlic is made, take away a surprise black garlic and smoked garlic gift basket, and be amongst the first to try our new black garlic products – in the pipeline black garlic; beer, butter, cheese, and rice cakes.
The history of Bredbo Black garlic goes back a long way. My wife and I started farming garlic more than 15 years ago. We lived on a 20 acre farm then, and I was determined to find a way of making that small acreage produce a crop of commercial value. This seemed difficult but then we hit on garlic as an option. Why garlic? Several reasons, not the least of which is the ongoing demand with a shortage of supply of Australian garlic. In those days, and maybe still now, more than 90% of the world’s garlic is supplied by China. We were on the cusp of a revolution where people were demanding good quality local produce.
Garlic doesn’t need a large ground area, and can produce in (theory) a valuable crop on an acre or less. Of course, as with all farming this turned out to be a far more difficult goal than first thought, and we like all garlic farmers before and after us have found that the product is not as simple nor easy as first thought. For the first nine years we had drought, which we thought we could solve with on farm water sources but not so. This proved not enough or of the wrong quality and gradually each year our crop went from bad to worse. Quite often the only time it poured with rain was at the time of harvest, or just before, making it impossible to get into the paddock, and to raise dry bulbs.
After 9 years of failed or semi-failed crops we moved the operation to a larger farm with plenty of good water and partnered with well established biodynamic farmers, Tobias and Beatrice Koenig at “Ingelara” in the Monaro region of NSW. This made a big difference, with water and soil quality greatly improved, and we were now producing a high quality sought-after product, but we still had issues each year with labour costs, consistency of quality, production quantity etc.
Garlic grown by us in partnership close to Bredbo
I had always felt that although we always managed to sell our crop the overheads including time and other production costs did not lead to a profitable enterprise on the scale that we were pursuing. This led us to the prospect of value-adding and in turn to the discovery of black garlic.
Black gralic is normal garlic aged for 60 days under very strict temperature and humidity parameters. It seems easy but it took us 2 years to develop the product that we are now so proud of known as Bredbo Black Garlic. It should be noted that the flavour of black garlics around the world varies immensely, dependent upon methods and types of garlic used. Many are “hurried” into production and consequently the result lacks flavour and intensity. Our Bredbo Black Garlic is prized by chefs and foodies alike for its quality of flavour and texture – flavours which are reminiscent of molasses, liquorice and balsamic vinegar, and a texture of gentle firmness. It is used throughout the menu from cheese platter to desserts.
The latest chapter in the development of Bredbo Black Garlic is the Black Garlic Truffle. No longer does the preparer have to fiddle and struggle with small cloves of black garlic that have to be tediously peeled. We now present our product as a whole bulb of solid black garlic, which originates from a randomly grown “globe garlic”. This can now be chopped, grated or sliced as the chef requires. This is now the ultimate presentation of our famous Bredbo Black Garlic. Enjoy!
Freight from China $519
Duty/GST estimate $270
Freight to Bredbo $242
This is the fermenter we need:
Hello brilliant people
Thank you for your support! We are at 22% funded! It’s almost been two weeks, and your black garlic will be on its way or already arrived! Please let us know how you like it by posting a photo on facebook with the hashtag #bredbofermenter or tag our facebook page @bredboblackgarlic
We still need your help! We still have a long way to go.
The $1000 black garlic club will now include a tour of the fermenting house for 4 of your friends, as well as the exclusive goodies and upcoming info on new black garlic products!
There is still time to get christmas gifts!
The $100 and $250 rewards are great value and would definitely be unique gifts!
A video on what goes into making good black garlic will be posted soon keep an eye out.
John and Tim